Did you know that cannabis has properties that can combat the symptoms of depression in humans? Depression is a serious condition that no one should ever ignore. It affects millions of people worldwide each day. People who suffer from it may experience a wide range of emotions, from hopelessness to irritability to sadness. In severe cases, it can become debilitating and even suicidal. The good news is that there are numerous self-help options available for those who are struggling with depression or any other kind of emotional distress. Let’s take a look at what causes the common depressive feelings, and how cannabis could be the solution.
What is Depression?
Depression is a serious condition that causes a person significant emotional pain. Some people may experience it once in their life, whereas others may have it on a continual basis. It is a mood disorder that usually affects people of all ages and backgrounds. It is characterized by sadness and a sense of being “down” for no apparent reason. There are various types of depression, and each person may experience different symptoms. It happens when the brain does not receive the chemical signals that it needs to function optimally. The most common types of depression are:
- Bipolar Disorder: People with bipolar disorder have periods of high energy and activity followed by periods of extreme exhaustion, low productivity, or sad and low mood. During the high phases, a person may feel overly excited and overly active. In the low phases, a person may feel lethargic and unable to get out of bed.
- Postpartum Depression: Depression experienced by new mothers after giving birth may be a one-time occurrence or a condition that recurs.
How Does Depression Affect The Brain?
When someone is depressed, the brain does not produce enough chemicals called neurotransmitters, which are responsible for sending messages between nerves and influencing moods. These chemicals also play a role in regulating sleep, appetite, memory, and brain function. Without them, the brain may function abnormally, leading to poor sleep, mood swings, reduced appetite, fatigue, and an increased risk of suicide. There are many medical treatments available that target neurotransmitters and their receptors. However, these treatments have some side effects, and they can only treat one specific type of depression at a time. Depression affects the neurotransmitters’ receptors differently. The reason why is still unclear, but it’s likely that the cannabis compounds interact with these receptors in an unusual way. This might be one of the reasons why medical cannabis is helpful for treating depression.
Ways Cannabis Can Help With Depression
If you’re someone who is feeling down or depressed, there are many ways cannabis can help you feel better. These aren’t cures for depression, but they can help relieve some of the symptoms.
- Relieve Stress – Stress can seriously affect your mood and cause you to feel anxious and depressed. If you’re feeling stressed about work, a personal issue, or school, cannabis is a great stress reliever.
- Relieve Sadness – Sadness is a normal part of life. But when someone is sad for an extended period of time, it can be both physically and emotionally draining. Cannabis can help relieve sadness, so you can be more focused on what’s important and less stressed about what’s not.
- Help with Insomnia – Many people experience insomnia as a result of depression. Bad sleeping habits and constant stress can lead to insomnia, which can be treated with medical marijuana.
- Improve Appetite – Many people who are depressed also have low appetites. This can lead to poor nutrition and an increased risk of obesity. Cannabis can help improve your appetite and help you stay in a healthy bodyweight range.
- Treat Pain – Some people who are depressed also experience pain as a side effect of the condition. Cannabis can treat this pain and help improve mood in the process.
Which strains to use for depression?
If you decide to use cannabis for depression, there are many things you can do to find the right strain for you. First, you’ll need to find a strain that’s high in CBD (the compound in cannabis that is thought to have the most potential for treats depression). You can do this by choosing a high-CBD strain with a ratio of CBDA of less than 0.10%. Then, you’ll want to look for strains that contain terpenes, the compounds that give plants their unique scent. Terpenes are known to be very effective at reducing stress, anxiety, and depression.
If you or someone you know is suffering from severe or chronic depression, there is hope. The right strain of medical marijuana can relieve many of the symptoms, and it may be even more effective than traditional prescription drugs. Talk to your doctor about using cannabis as an alternative treatment. Visit Wccannabis.co online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.