Going through menopause is a challenge for most women. The symptoms associated with this stage are often unsettling. Fortunately, there are many ways to manage these symptoms. One of the most effective ways to help ease symptoms associated with menopause is using medical cannabis as treatment. This article explores how and when medical cannabis can be used to manage the symptoms of menopause.
What Is Menopause?
Menopause is a stage in a woman’s life when her periods stop. It usually happens after a certain age, although it can start as early as 45 years of age. The exact timing of menopause is different for different women. It might come a few years after your childbearing years or go by the same time as your mother. If you’re going through menopause, you’ll need more iron and calcium, less folic acid and vitamin D, and less estradiol. You’ll also likely have more severe hot flashes and night sweats, and more severe insomnia.
What Are The Symptoms of Menopause?
Menopause symptoms can vary depending on the woman but are generally severe enough to disturb daily life.
- Hot Flashes: The most common menopause symptom. Hot flashes are sudden and intense episodes of heat and sweating that most women experience during menopause.
- Breast Discomfort: Another common symptom is breast discomfort, which can be mild to severe depending on the woman.
- Irregular Periods: This is another symptom of menopause that affects many women. A change in your menstrual cycle can occur as a result of menopause.
- Sleep Changes: Sleep changes and sleep disorders are also commonly seen during this period. Insomnia and an increased risk of nightmares are common during menopause.
How Does Cannabis Relieve Symptoms Of Menopause?
For many women, hot flashes are one of the most uncomfortable aspects of menopause. The reason for this is that the body’s temperature is far below what it should be when a woman experiences a hot flash. Studies have found that by using medical cannabis, you can reduce the severity of hot flashes by up to 50%! This is because cannabis activates the same receptors in your brain that respond to the body’s natural endocannabinoid system. This system is what regulates body temperature and mood. Studies show that cannabinoids can also reduce the symptoms of insomnia in women who experience them during menopause.
Cannabinoids For Menopause
Before you decide to use cannabis medicinally, it’s important to know the different types of cannabinoids and how they work.
- THC: This is the main component of cannabis that makes you feel high. THC binds to specific receptors in your brain, called cannabinoid receptors, which modulate mood and pain perception. Studies show that THC can treat anxiety, sleep disorders and pain, including menstrual cramps.
- CBD: This component of cannabis may be responsible for the treatment of symptoms such as hot flashes and insomnia, without making you feel high. CBD may also help treat vaginal dryness and pain during menopause.
- CBC: This component of cannabis may help to relieve symptoms such as mood imbalance, stress and muscle tension. Other possible benefits include relieving pain and reducing inflammation, which is important during menopause.
Tips For Using Medical Cannabis For Menopause
Some women find the effects of the drug vary from day to day, so here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your treatment.
- Always maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle: While cannabis is a natural treatment for menopause, it’s still important to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle. Maintain a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, drink enough water and exercise regularly.
- Use other forms of cannabis: Smoking a joint is not always a preferred method for medical cannabis. Try ingesting edibles or use oils sublingually.
- Keep it in moderation: It’s important to remember that cannabis is a natural drug that affects the mind and body. As such, it’s important to remember to consume it in moderation.
Medical cannabis offers women a way to manage the symptoms of menopause. While the effects may vary from person to person, the drug can provide relief from hot flashes, pain, insomnia and other symptoms. By keeping a healthy diet and lifestyle, and consuming cannabis in moderation, you can reap the benefits of this natural treatment. Visit West Coast Cannabis online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.