With the increasing acceptance of cannabis as medicine for humans, pet owners are now asking whether it is safe to use cannabis for their furry friends. While there is still much research to be done in this area, the evidence so far suggests that cannabis has potential benefits for pets, particularly for pain relief and anxiety. However, there are also potential risks that pet owners need to be aware of before using cannabis for their pets, including possible side effects and interactions with other medications. This article will explore the pros and cons of using cannabis for pets.
What is Cannabis?
Cannabis is a flowering plant that is widely grown for its fiber (for things like clothing and rope), as well as for its seeds and flowers. The plant’s flowers (or “buds”) are the part of the plant that is most commonly used for medicinal purposes. There are many different types of cannabis, each with a different chemical makeup. Marijuana is the most common type of cannabis and the one that is most often used for medicinal purposes. It contains high levels of a chemical called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), as well as lower levels of other cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol (CBD). Hemp is another type of cannabis plant that is grown mainly for its seeds and fibers. Unlike marijuana, it contains very low levels of THC, so it is not generally used for medicinal purposes.
Pros of Using Cannabis for Pets
The most common reason people use cannabis for their pets is to ease or manage the symptoms of various conditions.
- Pain relief – Cannabis can be used to relieve pain in pets that have arthritis or other painful conditions.
- Anxiety – When pets are anxious, they may show signs such as excessive barking or chewing. Cannabis may help ease anxiety and reduce these types of behaviours in pets.
- Inflammation – Cannabis has been found to be effective for treating inflammation in pets with arthritis, as well as for treating inflammatory disorders such as colitis.
- Nausea – Some pets may experience nausea during chemotherapy, and cannabis has been shown to be effective for managing this side effect.
Cons of Using Cannabis for Pets
- Unknown long-term effects – Despite the potential benefits of using cannabis for pets, there is still a lack of long-term studies on the effects of cannabis use in both humans and animals. This means that it is not known for sure how safe cannabis is for long-term use in humans or pets.
- Possible side effects – Both THC and CBD have been shown to have side effects in humans, although these are rarely severe. Some of the most common side effects of THC include drowsiness, increased appetite, and dizziness. CBD also has side effects, although these are generally milder. Some of the most common side-effects of CBD include drowsiness, diarrhea, and changes in blood pressure.
- Interactions with other medications – As with humans, some medications may interfere with cannabis use. It is important to talk to your vet before using any cannabis products.
Is Cannabis Safe for Pets?
It is impossible to know for certain whether cannabis is safe for pets until more long-term studies are done. However, the available evidence suggests that cannabis has potential benefits for both humans and animals, particularly for pain relief and anxiety. The main risk associated with cannabis use in pets is interactions with other medications and potential side effects. One of the main challenges with cannabis use for pets is that it’s often unclear which type of cannabis product to use for a particular situation. This can make it difficult for pet owners to know how much to give to their pets and how often. It can also be difficult for pet owners to know what type of product to use for their pet. THC-rich products are often more effective for treating pain and nausea in pets, whereas CBD-rich products are often better for treating anxiety in pets. With that being said, cannabis can be safe for pets as long as it is used in moderation.
Overall, the available evidence suggests that cannabis has potential benefits for both humans and animals. It can be used to treat a variety of conditions, including pain and anxiety. However, there is still a lack of long-term studies on the safety of cannabis in pets. It is therefore important for pet owners to be aware of the potential risks associated with using cannabis for their pets, including interactions with other medications. Visit Wccannabis.co online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.