When it comes to cannabis oils, there are several different types of oils that you can get. Oils are a great way to consume your favorite strains as they won’t leave as strong of an aroma or flavor as standard exhale methods. Oils also provide a very convenient method of consuming your weed by allowing you to take smaller, more frequent doses throughout the day. However, not all oils are created equal and it is important that you know the differences between the three main types so that you can make the right choice for your needs. We will discuss each type in detail below:
What is it? A solvent is any chemical that can be separated from another substance. It is done by heating the substance to the point of evaporation. If you take a look at the definition of a solvent above, you’ll see that it is not a type of cannabis oil, but rather a form of cannabis. This is because all concentrates break down into THC and CBD cannabinoids once exposed to the high heat of a solvent extraction. The type of solvent used in the extraction is the main difference between the four most common types of cannabis oils. Petroleum-based solvents are usually the most common type of oil used in cannabis oil production. These solvents include hexane, butane, and pentane. Cannabinoid-based solvents include ethanol and CO2. These are generally used for CBD-rich cannabis oils, though some THC-rich oils are extracted with these cannabinoid-based solvants as well. Plant-based solvents include ethanol and glycerin. These are used for producing hemp- and marijuana-derived CBD oils.
What is it? The main component of cannabis is the decarboxylated (raw) plant material known as “trim.” Trim is then cooked with various types of solvents to produce oil. When you heat trim to the point of decarboxylation, the raw chemical compound of the cannabis plant changes form and becomes the psychoactive component of THC and CBD — or other cannabinoids. Oil is the most common type of cannabis oil. It contains both the cannabinoids which provide the high and the resin content which provides the flavor and aroma. Because it is derived from the raw trim, oil is safe to consume and is non-psychoactive.
What is it? Now this is a type of oil that is becoming more and more popular every day. If you think about it, how can you separate the cannabinoids from the plant material? By using a chemical called an “isolation solvent.” By isolating the cannabinoids from the plant material — and the terpenes from the flavonoids — you are left with an oil that is chemically identical to the plant matter from which it was extracted. This is why isolate oils are so valuable — they offer a reliable method of consuming cannabinoids without consuming the plant material itself. There are many different types of isolation solvents that are used in the cannabis oil industry. They include ethanol, acetone, Isopropanol, hexane, CO2, and others.
What is the difference between distillate, oil, and isolate?
Since cannabinoids and terpenes are the main components of cannabis oil, they are extracted from the plant material and isolated. Distillate oils are highly concentrated, and they are sometimes used to mix with isolate oils or other types of oils to create a hybrid product. For example, you can mix a distillate oil with an isolate oil to create a hybrid product that contains a combination of both cannabinoids and terpenes. Some companies will also add a small amount of THC distillate to create a hybrid product that contains some THC.
Pros of Distillate Oils
- Fast acting and discrete – Ideal for situations where you need your high to happen quickly and discreetly.
- Holds up in a vape pen – Oil concentrates are some of the best options for those looking to consume their cannabis oils in a vape pen.
- CBD oil – CBD oil is the most common cannabinoid found in oils and it has very strong anti-tremor properties. That is why it is becoming so popular with those suffering from tremors.
- Fast onset – CBD oil is becoming more and more popular among users as a treatment for anxiety and depression. Because it is non-euphoric, it can be used as a daily supplement without causing a euphoric high.
- Cons of Distillate Oils Produces heavy smoke – If you are consuming distillate oils, you will notice that they produce a lot of smoke. Isolate oils are best for stealth vaping.
- Not suitable for baking – Since both cannabinoids and terpenes are found in cannabis, they are not suitable for consumption in foods like cookies or brownies. They can, however, be used in edibles and other foods that are eaten without being eaten.
- Must be vaped – If you are consuming isolate oils, you will notice that they don’t absorb into your hits as well as other oils. You will have to vape your oil to get the same effect as smoking.
Pros of Isolated Oils
- Long-lasting high – Since isolates are concentrated, they don’t have as short a lifespan as other oils. This means that you can consume more isolate oils in one sitting without worrying about the effects wearing off quickly.
- More potent and effective than distillates – Since isolates are extracted from the most potent parts of the plant, they naturally contain higher levels of cannabinoids.
- No smoke – Another benefit of consuming isolated oils is that there is no combustion involved — so there is no smoke or ash produced. This is great if you live in a city that doesn’t allow open flames.
- No odor – As we discussed above, you will notice that isolate oils don’t produce any odor when inhaled. This is great if you live in an apartment where you can’t smoke or vape indoors.
Choose the right type of oil for your blending needs. Petroleum-based oils produce strong highs and are best for immediate effects. Cannabinoid-based oils have less potent compounds, but they have anti-tremor properties that are great for treating tremors. Plant-based oils have a low cannabinoid count, but they have long-lasting pleasant aromas. Petroleum-based oils are the most common type of oil. Isolates are the most concentrated form of oil. They are the only type of oil that does not contain any cannabinoids or terpenes. These oils are best for stealth vaping and for use in hybrid products. The different types of cannabis oils can be confusing, but it is essential that you make the right choice for your needs.
Buy Concentrates Online
Whether it’s your first time trying, or you’re a seasoned pro, wccannabis.co has all the concentrates you’ll need to buy online.